Evaluation Copy of Debian-Linux

WB2 pizzaNomaxSpam@cableone.net
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:09:22 -0500

Hi,

I'd like to try Debian-Linux to evaluate it, but my dial-up connection is
very slow.  It would take far too long to download from the internet.  Does
anyone know of a site where I can purchase a cheap copy (you know, the ones
w/out the manuals, just the CDs) so that I can see if I like it better than
Mandrake or Red Hat.  Since I live in the US it would probably be easier if
it is a site in the US.

I've been using Mandrake for about a year (along w/ Win98) and recently got
Red Hat 7.1.  I seem to be getting a lot of crash warnings from both, more
with Mandrake, though.  I know that Linux has bugs, like all software.  At
this point, I tend to fault my lack of experience with Linux, not the
software glitches.  I'd still like to try Debian because everything I've
read so far says that it is more stable than the other distros.

I do far more reading w/ Linux than with Win98, but it is very rewarding to
stumble on a solution -- er --I mean figure out a solution on your own! ;)
Linux is definitely not for the lazy.  I compare Linux to a garden, you get
out that which you put into it.  Even after a year or so of using Linux, the
"novelty factor" still has not worn off!  I still enjoy finding things here
and there that surprise me.

Thanks,
WB2